Mar 18, 2003

Two things I want, but in one word
For God to cleave me, into two
Rend selfish self from redeemed soul
And make me pleasing unto to You

The second thing, and next in line
I want to cleave myself, in time
To someone who, Lord, longs for thee
Would love You first, and marry me

I woke up this morning thinking about that word, like so many high dollar words that float through my head while showering, often without my comprehending them. A good friend of mine expressed distaste for the ambiguity of our language, and I agree at times. I think I like this word cleave though.

And now, for something completely different . . .

This morning while on my ride back from school, I saw a trashcan on the median. In Dallas, this is common, it allows motorists to dispose of trash in their car while in the left hand turn lane. This one had a rather unique slogan though, and it made me laugh. It said, “Recycle To The Max, reduce your waste to a minimum.” Can’t you just see some cartoon guy trying to look cool, with sunglasses on, saying something like, “Dude, recycle man, but recycle, TO THE MAX!” He might look a little like this fruitcake.

I hate stupid slogans, and I’m not fond of thinking about all the money that is more than likely made by these unscrupulous marketing majors who apparently procrastinate in the real world as much as they did in college, but instead of getting C’s, get paid thousands of dollars for sub standard work. That or they are clueless, and I should pity them. I suppose a third option is more psychological, after all, I’m sitting here repeating their slogan on the internet and in my head, so I guess it’s score one for the ad agency. Sign me up.

No comments: