Apr 20, 2003

Have you ever enjoyed re-heated food so much that you wonder why you tried eating it after only cooking it once? Lasagna is one of these mysteries. Through many experiments, and by many third party accounts, I’ve come to the conclusion that lasagna continues tasting better every time you re-heat it. This is not my theory, it was told to me by a friend, but I can’t disagree. The burger I just re-heated for some reason tastes heavenly, easily an order of magnitude better than it was fresh. I think reheating it caused the cheese to become one with the burger and bun. Warm melted cheese definitely approaches the all time orgasmic food list, which I have yet to compile.

I continually return to Ecclesiastes, it seems the most relevant book in the world when you’re feeling uncertain, which for me, to varying degrees, has been my life since about age 12. There is indeed a time for all things, and I’d argue that timing is one of the most misunderstood things about life. It’s funny how projects always get finished up on the day they’re due, it’s funny that when it rains, it pours. The telemarketer calls at dinner, and you meet a new friend because your alarm clock didn’t go off.

This seemingly incomprehensible set of causes and effects points to one of two things. Chaos theory, in all of its mind numbing complexity, or an all powerful God with a sense of humor. The sweet is never quite as sweet without the sour, and joy contrasts so well with sorrow. So even when things suck, I think I can confidently say, God’s not through yet, and I believe I’ll be able to laugh about a great many things somewhere down the road.

I don’t pretend to have been through great adversity, and I’ve never been starving or homeless. How do you develop a life philosophy having never been destitute or persecuted, knowing you may very likely never be, but with the knowledge that many are? Again, there is a time for everything, weeping and rejoicing too, and I can’t walk around with a sad look on my face all the time because people are suffering. To do that would be to reject all of the wonderful things God has given to me. Perspective is so hard, in so many areas of life.

So tonight it’s Linux and me. Cheshire cheese and white merlot. Tool’s Lateralus is on the stereo, Buddy is around my neck. It’s not that bad an evening, to be honest, in fact, one of the better evenings I’ve ever spent alone. I’ll more than likely end up smoking a pipe and calling some friends in a western time zone later on, just like I often do. Day one without cigarettes actually feels a lot better than I thought it would.

No comments: