Jul 8, 2003

I’d like to write more often, but it seems I’m already biting off more than I can chew. Between working and studying I drive to Longview. I’m still trying to find where sleep fits into all this. Strange things happen when you’re sleep deprived, like waking up from a nap to hear your father nagging you to get more sleep. Stranger yet are the rhythms your body gets into. I can be completely exhausted all day, but once the sun starts to set, I can feel life beginning. By the time I set my alarm clock and get to bed, I’m at my most alert.

The funny thing is, I should be able to sleep and work at the same time since it requires such little brain activity. Another funny thing about this situation is that I’ve always regarded sleep as a leisure activity, certainly not something to be done as a matter of responsibility. The Bible warns of a little sleeping, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, but I don’t remember reading anything exhorting me to get a good night’s sleep. Of course, written to a culture where probably very few people would consider staying awake far into the night, I suppose it was assumed then that you slept at night, and sleeping while it was light was the only thing to worry about.

I feel like writing about dreams again, but instead I’ll just dream. Maybe tomorrow will lend itself to writing. Maybe I’ll wake up early. Maybe want will come in like an armed man, and I’ll realize that Proverbs was right.

No comments: