Oct 1, 2008

A friend asked me what I thought of the IRS stance on church involvement, and also whether Biblical values should be primary criteria in selecting a candidate. There is a link to the video that promted the question, and below it is my response.

ADF’s Pulpit Initiative

Good questions. I don't know how far the IRS goes, but on its website it states:

In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

This doesn't say that the church can't influence legislation. It goes on to say that there are limitations. I personally believe it's necessary to make sure that some "action organizations" don't abuse the tax exemption simply by calling themselves a church. As a church, we should be far more active in the community that in active lobbying.

I also think the pastor featured in the video was doing Christianity a disservice by singling out Obama that way. He essentially called into question either your sanity or your salvation if you vote for Obama. That's not something a pastor should do from the pulpit. I'm pretty sure none of us should be doing it in private either. The church should be allowed to speak out on any issue that affects its people, but making it personal is unwise, and the way he did it is unacceptable.

Side Note:
I think you know my stance on marriage, the primary issue he brought up, and that is that the goverment is already over-stepping its bounds by legislating marriage at all. Unless you're setting up a Theocracy, I don't see how you can argue that our government has to legislate from the Bible. God saves people, and God disciplines people, and as a church we are to at times discipline our own. Nowhere does the Bible talk about disciplining non-believers.

Now as to your second question, should our selection criteria for political candidates be from the Bible. I think so, I think our representatives should have Biblical beliefs, and stand up for the values we have as much as possible. It makes sense if they're representing us that they believe very similarly to us. It doesn't then follow that I couldn't vote for a non-believer, but I would only do so if they more acurately represent me than the other candidates.

No comments: