Sep 23, 2010

Stack overflow had the first piece of the puzzle, one I'm still putting together one piece at a time. 32 bit to 64 bit conversion is proving to be quite difficult, especially since I was heavily relying on the class we downloaded to enumerate and connect to our HID. It's time spent learning, and working on code, which I always appreciate.

I was also approached today, in regards to one of my least favorite projects of all time. This project was one of our infamous "T&M with a CAP", which if you're not familiar with billable projects, is a nonsensical way of saying "We'll take our cake, eat it, and make you pay for it." Did you finish under your estimate? Great, we pay you less. Did you go over, great, finish the job for free.

I understand the thought process, there's a desire to stop the bleeding of a project gone bad, and to hedge your bets. But that's the problem with the whole "services" business model. You're trusting that the people you hire can get the job done in close to the amount of time they say, and you budget accordingly. But in any undertaking, there is risk, and to force one side to assume all the risk with none of the reward, seems both unfair and unreasonable. With such a past history, I'm not entirely optimistic about our future dealings. To say the least, I'd like to see it in writing, another one of our weaknesses.

In the meantime, Shannon leaves us tomorrow, Shain is the new Shannon. A new era for the Lynx department begins, as the old one fades into the sunset, or some such nonsense. And the training begins anew.

No comments: