Sep 29, 2010

So this week I've started the transition from the only job I've had since graduation to my first full time developer position. My job with MTSI has been awesome, and I've really enjoyed working with such a large group of friends, with flexibility and low stress for a majority of my stay.

What I feel has been missing has been challenge and accountability. While I love the fact that my input carries weight here, I have stagnated in my development by not having someone holding my feet to the fire, reviewing my work with an eye to proper procedures and potential for improvement. I have been able to try my hand at a number of different things, for which I'm grateful, but I'm excited to finally be in the deep end of large(larger) scale development, working with someone who knows way more than me.

My decision was also influenced by a need for uninterrupted time to work. Right now I freeze and tense up every time I hear the overhead paging system kick on, knowing that it's likely to bring me a new interruption.

I will miss my cubicle with a view. I will miss my collection of friends at lunch. I will miss my boss Kevin. The 13th will begin a new phase for me, and I can't wait.

No comments: