May 7, 2003

First, I had a post written about friends, best friends, and family, but I lost it, credit my use of Blogger here. Anyway, I’m in a superb mood right now, I love evening phone calls, and I love free minutes after 9. To the group, I’ve got the tickets, and I’m sorry, they’re in the covered seating, but they’re not first section. I’m still excited about the concert though, hope you all are too.

So, I’m in a good mood, but being tired and catching up on blogs, I’m faced once again with one of my personal dilemmas. My problem is that I can’t stand “happy Christians”. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, I mean, in principle I agree with them. I believe God did create the world, Jesus did die for my sins, He does love me, He does cause all things to work together for my good. Somehow, at times, that’s just not what I want to hear, especially from people who know so little about me.

When I feel comfortable admitting to someone that I’m struggling with some decisions in life, nothing makes me want to kill a man like somebody responding to me by singing Trust And Obey. When I’m worried about a job, a relationship, a hurting friend, a lack of direction, whatever, I’m not interested in your third grade Sunday School lesson, complete with Flannel-graph and coloring pages.

I’m not sure if I’m way off target here either, maybe I just need to calm down. Here’s some verses that resonate with me when I feel this way:

When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.
I Corinthians 13:11

He who blesses his friend with a loud voice early in the morning, It will be reckoned a curse to him. Proverbs 27:14

Like one who takes off a garment on a cold day, or like vinegar on soda, is he who sings songs to a troubled heart.
Proverbs 25:20

So I’m unsure right now as to how to feel. I have an aversion to what I believe to be ignorant smarminess, but if someone is blessed and built up by it, who am I to condemn it? Maybe I’m jealous because I so rarely feel emotionally close to God. Maybe some people need to open their eyes and face reality. God is big enough to handle the shit that happens down here, we don’t have to pretend the sun is shining when it’s pouring outside.

No comments: